In this advanced digital environment, businesses need to create scrupulous data products. It is not just creating analytics or reports but involves an entire solution. Data products need to reveal methodical, comparative, and insightful data to the right personnel at the right moment, and on the right device.
A comprehensive metadata management solution is crucial to crafting these data products. Chief Data Officers need to look for efficient data management with Metadata management because of the explosion in data volume and big data technologies.
What are Metadata and Metadata management?
It is data that provides details about data in context. It allows using and reusing the data in context for many business decisions. It is a descriptive way of showing the information. Commonly, Metadata refers to online resources but can even be associated with electronic or physical resources.
Just like in library management, people look for a topic or author in the library catalog to find the desired book. Google devised metadata for users to find the desired content. Metadata management at the enterprise level needs to be data-driven and derived from context. Metadata management is about offering answers to who, when, what, where, and why associated with the data. Therefore organizations need to add a Metadata management training program via reliable institutions like DataManagementU.
How to ensure an effective metadata management process?
Layout policies and procedures
Employees are the core of metadata management, so ensure to have policies, procedures, and tools made available. It allows for smooth interaction between different departments about data & metadata. For efficient MDM the –
- Role of executives and CDO – Must define rules for MDM and use specific tools for enforcement. The rules must have different security characteristics and metadata modification procedures.
- Role of data analysts and others – Analysts need to comply with the metadata management rules. Document questions and comments associated with data and metadata. It can be beneficial to other data citizens during the research of the same data.
MDM tool features
Robust tools offer metadata access and are capable of enforcing rules outlined by the executives. Some of the great features of these tools are –
- Sample Data – Sample data offers context to the metadata, which enriches the understanding of metadata.
- Lineage – It helps to understand data origination, how it journeyed, and different transformations that occurred before reaching you. You even gain an understanding of where else this information is currently used.
- Data stats – You gain answers to common questions like distinct values, null count, count, top used values, as well as minimum & maximum values.
- Previous communication – For effective MDM, communication is crucial. Metadata-related communication [remarks & comments] tied in a single place is necessary.
- The relationship amongst data – Identifying a relationship with other data searches for context data is possible. Data matching is done automatically or manually.
Metadata management benefits include low data ownership cost, less compliance & legal risks, and enhanced business intelligence. Operational effectiveness, ease of legal compliance, and more insights for long-term planning are the chief benefits of MDM.